[Regia-NA] broad-brimmed hats?

Douglas Sunlin dsunlin at hotmail.com
Tue May 16 13:44:08 EDT 2006

>From what I recall, the idea that Odin had a wide-brimmed hat stems from a
mistranslation. I don't have the source near to hand, surely someone will
come up with it. It appears to have been more of a hood.

Hatlessness in the Viking Age is a curious thing. Just thinking of how
(among Christians anyway) there is a tradition for men to uncover their
heads in church, and for women to cover their heads in church, regardless of
what they ordinarily wear. Could it have been in the 10th-11th C's that they
extended that tradition outside the church as well, seeing a woman's
uncovered head as vulgar, as much as an man's covered head?

-Osweald