[Regia-NA] broad-brimmed hats?

William R. Short thorleifur at hurstwic.org
Tue May 16 17:50:00 EDT 2006

>>>I am trying to locate evidence for broad-brimmed hats for anywhere in
>>>the Anglo-Saxon or Viking period and would appreciate any help in
>>>finding sources...anyone know of anything?

There's an example of broad brimmed helmets in the _Sagas of
Icelanders_.  In chapter 61 of _Laxdæla saga_, a helmet is described as
having a brim as wide as a hand.  However, the usual cautions of using the
sagas as a source applies -- we don't know if that description applies to
items in use when the saga was written (13th century) or when the story
took place (10th century).

There are a number of examples in the sagas of "hattr" and "húfa",
translated as hat, hood, cap, bonnet, etc.  None of the examples I looked
at were described as being broad-brimmed.

>>Even in the summer months of the Julius and Tiberius work calendars, with
>>people working in the fields during the time of the year when they were
>>most likely to want protection, they are bare headed.

Perhaps in the far northern latitudes, sun protection is less of a problem,
since the sun never gets that high in the sky, even in summer.

Best regards,
Bill Short