[Regia-NA] broad-brimmed hats?

Folo Watkins folo at advancenet.net
Tue May 16 13:31:05 EDT 2006

>I am trying to locate evidence for broad-brimmed hats for anywhere in the
>Anglo-Saxon or Viking period and would appreciate any help in finding
>sources...anyone know of anything?

The familiar archetype of Odin in a wide-brimmed felt hat post-dates the
Dark Ages. There is no direct evidence that such hats were used. Even in
the summer months of the Julius and Tiberius work calendars, with people
working in the fields during the time of the year when they were most
likely to want protection, they are bare headed. Does this indicate they
didn't use wide-brimmed hats? Since they were used both before and after
this era, that seems unlikely (*although in Roman times, only slaves wore
or had need to wear hats). And remember that the so-called Phrygian caps
have lately been discredited as an artistic convention. Is it the same with
the wide-brimmed hats?  (if Phrygian caps denoted high status, would these
hats have denote low?) Does their absence "prove" that it was a convention
just not to portray them? (that was a rhetorical question by the way).

I wouldn't be surprised if they were used. They're too practical not to
have been used. But we have no evidence or artifacts that they were, I
won't use mine for that reason. I wish there was a catalog that the Vikings
used to get their gear like US Civil War soldiers, but if wishes were horses...

Until we find that elusive runestone catalog or a stiffly blocked Viking
cowboy hat, I'll just squint in the sun and get sunburned...

Cheers, Folo