[Regia-NA] A good time was had

Erik irongld at bellsouth.net
Fri Mar 26 22:47:37 EST 2004

At 12:51 PM 3/26/2004, you wrote:

>I haven't had much time to write up what we did at Gulf Wars, but it did
>work out pretty well.  The Danelaw members put in a lot of hard work and I
>was very appreciative and proud that they stuck to authenticity guidelines
>despite the heat.  Our site comprised three tents, one of which was a
>trader style which we used as a work shelter.  Although we didn't get much
>crafty-bits done, Russ managed to cut out some bone plaques to eventually
>become weaving tablets, Malinda stung up the Oseberg tablet loom and got a
>fair bit of weaving done, and Tracie and Anne did a spectacular job of
>cooking a period meal.  We all also talked to quite a number of people!  I
>would have liked to have had more than a day on site, and we have been
>asked back by Erik for next year.
>

>Bill

I wanted to personally thank the Danelaw members for coming to the Early
Period Life encampment at Gulf Wars.   I know parts of the trip, thanks to
U-haul, did not go as well as planned.  Those who came and looked over the
camp were quite impressed.  I got some great new ideas for forge projects.

I will be in charge of classes at Gulf Wars next year and have some ideas
for Early Period Technology Classes.   This year we had warp weighted looms
and ground fired metal casting classes.  Next year  I want to add a ground
forge exhibit.   As I told the Danelaw folks, we have plenty of room where
they were camped for more exhibits.

Anyway, I was impressed even if Bill does not think it was that
impressive.   It pushed some of us to  begin plans to push our encampment
closer to that point.

Thanks again Danelaw!

Erik