[Regia-NA] Re: [Regia] Our first LHE!

mik lawson miklawson at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Mar 26 18:19:39 EST 2004

& if that wasn't enough,we all await photos of the event? ;-p
Well done!
Regards,
Mik

Tracie <trbrown at uga.edu> wrote:
Well, gang, Bill seems too modest to post this, so I'll have to tell
you that we Danelaw folks in the southeastern US had our first LHE
last weekend.  We settled in the "early period encampment" part of
Gulf Wars (a largish SCA event a couple of hours north of New
Orleans, and relatively close to Bill's place) with two tents, a work
shelter and the entire contents of Bill's house.

We were only able to do a one-day encampment this year (the event
itself lasts about 10 days), but we had many interested and
interesting visitors (and a few clueless gawkers, oh well..).
Besides Bill, Will and me, we had Russ and Malinda (and Richard the
official baby) and Anne (who should be getting in her membership any
day now, right?). We were artsy-craftsy -- tablet weaving,
naalbindning, fingerloop braiding, bone and antler carving and
cooking -- and somewhat warlike, too.  A great many of the visitors
had visited the Regia web site already.  (Our new recruiting slogan:
You've visited the web site, now experience Regia in person!)

>From my personal perspective, the most fun was cooking with period
equipment.  I've cooked over fire with modern cast iron, but frying
eggs on the Viking skillet was different.  And the riveted cauldrons
held water very nicely, so whatever folks suggested to seal them
obviously worked.  My "LHE stew" was pretty tasty (if I do say so
myself). There was a forge set up on the other side of the camp, and
it seemed like all the blacksmiths came by to view and handle the
fire box and cooking equipment.

Russ and Malinda had lovely new clothes and were the very image of a
successful young Viking couple.  Amazing what you can do with $1/yd
black linen, some dye remover and some dye -- the colors were great,
the embellishment tasteful and restrained. And Richard was quite
adorable. Sid from Florida, whom some of you may know already, came
by in her "spare time."  She was extremely busy at this event, not
the least because she was exhibiting a fabulous reconstructed early
Saxon grave find, complete with (fake) skeleton. If only she didn't
live so far away! (9 hrs from me, 10 hrs from Bill) But she *will* be
assimilated.

The head of the early period camp is very interested in having us
expand next year and teach some classes and workshops.  I'm all
revved up to go back and spend more time.  And next year -- we
promise -- Bill will actually get to see the belly dancers (some of
whom are durn good!).

We're off to a good start -- soon they'll all be wearing wool in the
Mississippi heat. bwaa-haa-haa-haa!

Thank you Bill, Our Fearless Leader, for putting this together and
leading the way.  Next LHE in ... gaack ... 4 weeks!  Better start
sewing.

-- Tracie

If you know a friend you can fully trust,go often to his house.
Grass & brambles quickly grow upon untrodden track.
Havamal