[Regia-NA] CDs?

rmhowe MMagnusM at bellsouth.net
Mon Jun 7 09:53:21 EDT 2004

Martin Field wrote:
> Well, as you are well aware there is no surviving Anglo-Saxon music and
> *perhaps* the same goes for Norse.
> For A-S music you could write to Garman Lord who publishes the newsletter
> Theod and sells books  as well as cassette tapes and CD's that he has
> personally recorded.
> Ask for his newsletter 'Theod' where all his other saleable goods are
> advertized including harps.
> The first multi-track Anglo-Saxon style recording is called 'Harp Runes from
> Allfather's Hall' and is available on both Cassette ($11.00) and now CD
> ($16.00).
> The second is 'Songs of the Elder Trow' and again is on both cassette
> ($12.00) and CD ($16.00).
> I have both and I find them to be quite good although I think it is the
> latter that is a little heavy on the echo effect.
> I see from his listing he also has 'Songs of Ancient Goths' - CD only
> ($16.00)and 'Songs of Yggdrasil' (Icelandic perhaps???) - CD only ($5.00).

Yssdragil was the name of the Saxon tree of life, it was once a great
stone tree in a temple on a bluff above a river. When the Saxons in
Europe refused to submit to Christianity Charlemagne stormed the place,
butchered many of them and threw Yssgragil into the river. Two
representations still exist. One was a stone carving from the base
of the idol, and the other is a figure from the inside of a metal
bowl. The Nazi's (after our period) adopted one of these - the
better looking - for their office of racial purity authentication
and enforcement. However, the great tree is common to many Northern
European cultures. Including the Norse.

Magnus