[Regia-NA] CDs?

rmhowe MMagnusM at bellsouth.net
Fri Jun 4 10:16:31 EDT 2004

John Michalski wrote:
> I have a lot of early music, but (except from
> Gregorien-and-earlier chant, none of it is from before
> about 1250. Does anyone know if there are any artists
> putting out recordings of music from pre-Norman
> Britain.
>
> Yes, I know that when you get back into these
> centuries most of the music-recreation is educated
> guesswork, but if there are CDs of the music of
> ancient Greece and Rome out there I thought there
> might be some from our period, too.
>
> John

Some goobers in Scandinavia have tried to reconstruct
Viking music on CD's. Doubtless someone knows who they
are - it's been too long since I saw their CD's somewhere.

Thora Sharptooth has an article on making a Sutton Hoo
style lyre on her pages and her husband Dof had/or has
an email group devoted to teaching how to play the thing.

I'm tone deaf and can't tune anything however much I
would like to. Low tone hearing loss.  I have the
articles on the Sutton Hoo Lyre but have yet to finish
the harp I started long ago. From what I have seen in
my various books I don't think the lyres changed too
much over time. You see them in all sorts of early
medieval sculpture and illuminations.

Magnus