[Regia-NA] CDs?

rmhowe MMagnusM at bellsouth.net
Sun Jun 6 21:59:45 EDT 2004

rmhowe wrote:
> John Michalski wrote:
>
>> I have a lot of early music, but (except from
>> Gregorien-and-earlier chant, none of it is from before
>> about 1250. Does anyone know if there are any artists
>> putting out recordings of music from pre-Norman Britain.
>> Yes, I know that when you get back into these
>> centuries most of the music-recreation is educated
>> guesswork, but if there are CDs of the music of
>> ancient Greece and Rome out there I thought there
>> might be some from our period, too.
>>
>> John
>

> Some goobers in Scandinavia have tried to reconstruct
> Viking music on CD's. Doubtless someone knows who they
> are - it's been too long since I saw their CD's somewhere.

I see someone came up with a suggestion or two on the CD's
but I might have been thinking of one not suggested. Can't
recall, didn't buy one at the time. I'm sure it would be
listed in the backlog of the Norsefolk at yahoogroups.com
backlog though. After getting the crap spammed out of them
it switched over to Norsefolk2 at yahoogroups.com and an
approved member list. As it is a huge list I didn't choose
to continue to keep up with something I have little time
to sort through. But I'm fairly certain that if anything
musically norse has come out it would be on it. There are
members in the Scandinavian countries and Iceland on it
as well as the strictly English speaking types.

Mistress Gunnvor / Gunnora probably has a page on Viking
music at http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/

http://www.cs.vassar.edu/~capriest/thora.html

> I'm tone deaf and can't tune anything however much I
> would like to. Low tone hearing loss.  I have the
> articles on the Sutton Hoo Lyre but have yet to finish
> the harp I started long ago. From what I have seen in
> my various books I don't think the lyres changed too
> much over time. You see them in all sorts of early
> medieval sculpture and illuminations.
>
> Magnus

Bruce-Mitford, R.: The Sutton Hoo Lyre, Beowulf, and the Origins of the
Frame Harp; Antiquity 173 1970. 7 pp., 3 figs., 7 b/w pls. There are
numerous depictions of other lyres in it as I recall.

There is also a discussion of the earlier reconstruction of the frame
harp (there are two versions, it was later re-interpreted, and ended
up I think as Thora's husban Dof has written it up on her website) in
Bruce-Mitford, R.L.S.: The Sutton Hoo Ship Burial, The rich tomb of a
seventh-century Anglo-Saxon king has yielded an archaeological
treasure that illuminates an obscure period in the history of the
English people; in Scientific American magazine, April 1951.
This would be the issue with the cover with the Sutton Hoo Shield
in color on it.  At the end of the article is a fragment of the harp and
the earlier unsymetric reconstruction of the harp, before remaking -
on the right is a 12th C. ivory carving partly on which the earlier
reconstruction was based.

And finally, the later reconstruction in:
Bruce-Mitford, Rupert: The Sutton Hoo Ship Burial Vol.3, 2 parts:
Late Roman and 	Byzantine Silver, Hanging Bowls, Drinking Vessels,
Cauldrons and Other Containers, Textiles, the Lyre, Pottery Bottle
&  textiles, shoes (the one found in this 7th century Anglo-Saxon
burial had not only a rand, but what appeared to be a hazelwood
shank!), British Museum, 1983, xliv +998pp., 12.5x10ins (32x26cms.),
16 colour plates, 679 illustrations. Mint blue buckram in dustwrappers.

Kraus, Henry: The Living Theatre of Medieval Art: University of
Penn. Press, Philadelphia, 1967, xvii + 248p, 135 Illustrations,
ISBN 0812210565. Great for sculptural scenes.
Seated Man with Lyre from Cluny page 173.

Lawson G.: An Early Norwegian Lyre from Roldal Hordaland (Norway).
Academic Journal Offprint from - Antiquity 205 1978. 2pp 2figs 1b/w pls.

That is all I have on lyres in my bibliographical notes on the books
I have entered into my monographs owned file. There are probably more
in the other books I haven't had time to dissect like the Object and
Economy in Medieval Winchester pair, which is huge.

Seems like I got in a book from Haithabu/Hedeby though that had
some more Swan flutes in it though. Fairly sure I did.
If I recall the German word for Swan is Kern.
Probably in one of the Ausgrabungen books on Animal bone finds.
I got in 19 - 21 of them fairly recently - last few months.
I think there were three or four swan bone flutes in them.
[One of the things I collect is books on working skeletal materials.]

For some reason the German dealer who sent me the first sixteen volumes
sent me two on the fish that were identical. Since he made me spend a
small fortune paying extra for an international bank transfer in his
currency damned if I'm sending one volume back at my expense because
I doubt if I'd be paid back in such a fashion at his expense. The
bank transfer cost me triple what the book did. I've thought about
sending it to Liam who does the Medieval Fishing pages on the internet.

Magnus