[Regia-NA] Greetings from a newbie

John Michalski jmichal2 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 3 18:50:16 EDT 2004

Hello Tracie! Thanks for the welcome (I've goten
several...this seems to be a friendlier group than
some I've tried to contact).

Good luck with the habits. I've always found wool
problematic, and regret that cotton is "out of period"
for medieval/renaissance reenacting. I guess linen is
a good second choice, though it wrinkles so!

As for seminary, I'm going in, not coming out. I start
at Nashotah House this fall for a one-year M.Div.
completion program (I did a couple of years in an RC
seminary in a previous incarnation). Sadly, it has a
bit of a reputation for being hyper-conservative, but
like many reputations that one lacks nuance. What I
can tell you is that it's got a semi-monastic,
Oxbridge rule of life, is committed to the classical
theologicl/spiritual tradition, is very liturgical and
sacramental and has some very fine teachers. My wife
and I are looking forward to our time there very much.

As for Regia, I'm getting more and more interested in
being involved. I've had an e from a guy who wants to
start a group in the Chicago/Milwaukee area in August
when the new "fiscal year" starts, and I'm very
tempted. Is it VERY expensive to pursue this hobby, or
can one be authentic at a reasonable price? Advice
would be appreciated.

Good luck finding the Hutton (it's at Amazon if your
local shops don't have it - that's where I got mine).

All the best,

John