[Regia-NA] Prittlewell Burial

Steve Etheridge seibhyrt at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 12 06:23:52 EDT 2004

Hi, Ian and Hazel

Thanks for the heads up on that.  At yesterdays Essex show I was chatting to
the people from Southend museum (where the finds will eventually be
displayed).  I asked about the folding chair, and they were not sure if it
was iron or had a wooden frame as well.  The square wikerwork "laundy
basket" (sorry, can't think of what else to call it!) was also mentioned.
On the illustration they had I noticed that the coffin (as they have
reconstructed it - although it might well be a bed) was resting on a mat.
When I asked about this, I was told it was of rushes.

Please note that this is all very "early days."  The finds are still in the
Museum of London, being conserved.  Hopefully when the find gets published
we will be able to get more detail on species used, methods applied, etc.

When the find is fully conserved it is hoped to be put back on display at
southend museum - this should be in three years time.  If they get the
money, they would like to do a reconstructed display of the grave goods in a
chamber which could be observed from above, just like it might have been
before the grave was closed.

Steve