[Regia-NA] tent canvas source

Chris Boulton list-regia-na@lig.net
Thu, 25 Sep 2003 19:39:35 +0100

>FWIW, I've even been told that my bolt of hemp canvas is also incorrect.
Anybody want to weigh in
>on that?

What's a FWIW - is it dangerous? Can't see anything wrong with hemp canvas
myself - unless the colour's wrong or there's something else about that
particular piece of cloth that makes it unsuitable.

>Oh, and I have an ancient wall tent that serves duty across many centuries
and purposes. It's now
>so old and gray with mildew stains that it just blends serenely into the
woods, often times getting
>completely overlooked. I like it that way!
>(yes, we have since treated it so the mildew isn't still growing, but the
stains are permanent
>anyway)

Nothing inauthentic about mildew! I've not seen a depiction of a walled tent
from our area and period, but I'd be surprised if they didn't have them.
That said though, since we can't actually provenance the shape we can't have
them.

Chris.