[Regia-NA] tent canvas source

Linda Rice list-regia-na@lig.net
Thu, 25 Sep 2003 15:34:55 -0400

Hi Chris~!

FWIW=3D For What It's Worth. No, I don't *think* it's dangerous! <g>

My hemp canvas is natural colored and heavier than most cotton tent =
canvas. IIRC (If I Recall
Correctly) it's 16 oz. I've had it for over a year, because I can't get =
my nerve together enough to
actually cut it~! I know, I'm pathetic! ;o> =20

Yeah, my poor old wall tent, she can't go aViking with me, but it does a =
whole lot of other things.
Usually it gets tucked behind everything else and stores the mundane =
items such as coolers, and is
also good for extra sleeping space. I seem to remember that Romans had =
wall tents similar to it,
but Roman isn't a period that I do. If there's ever an official Regia =
event within distance of
here, I'll be sure to leave it at home. ;o>

Pax,  ::Linda::

-----Original Message-----
From: list-regia-na-admin@lig.net [mailto:list-regia-na-admin@lig.net] =
On Behalf Of Chris Boulton
Sent: Thursday, September 25, 2003 2:40 PM
To: list-regia-na@lig.net
Subject: Re: [Regia-NA] tent canvas source

>FWIW, I've even been told that my bolt of hemp canvas is also =
incorrect.
Anybody want to weigh in
>on that?

What's a FWIW - is it dangerous? Can't see anything wrong with hemp =
canvas
myself - unless the colour's wrong or there's something else about that
particular piece of cloth that makes it unsuitable.

Nothing inauthentic about mildew! I've not seen a depiction of a walled =
tent
from our area and period, but I'd be surprised if they didn't have them.
That said though, since we can't actually provenance the shape we can't =
have
them.  Chris.