[Regia-NA] OT- Cooking squirrels & hunting rabbits

Wulfhere se Treowryhta list-regia-na@lig.net
Wed, 8 Oct 2003 13:41:22 -0400

On Wednesday, October 8, 2003, at 01:23 PM, mik lawson wrote:

> Ok understood!
> While we were in Eire the first year,a couple of guys went a huntin
> with Regia strength bows {35lb draw weight} just to see if we could
> actually do anything useful with the bows.They came back with a couple
> of bunnies which were promptly eaten & tasted all the better for being
> fresh.They were shot with regulation rubber tipped blunts the same
> ones the archers shot at me that week.So bunny hunting with bows is
> practical.
> Regards,
> mik

Can you get me some link to a source for these? The combat shafts the
SCA uses are a bit more comical than functional. Some of the heavy
listers claim you can whack them out of the air if your looking. Both
my longbows are #65 or better. Are these self bows? I ask because it's
so hard to get a shaft to bend properly around a handle with low draw
weight wood bows. That bend is critical to accuracy. I would imagine
our Viking age friends would have snared small game.