[Regia-NA] Combat arrows/blunts

Chris Boulton list-regia-na@lig.net
Wed, 8 Oct 2003 21:17:18 +0100

Don't know about sources in the States, but if you do a search on the net
for Quicks - UK you should come up with a supplier here.

We use self bows with a maximum 33.5 lb draw-wieght for combat - no limits
if you're not using it for shooting at people - and arrows to the following
specs (for combat arrows).....

Use P.O.C. (Port Orford Cedar) shafts spined at 40 / 45 lb or 45 / 50 lb,
11/32 inch diameter, left at full length (standard supplied length is
32inches), not cut to owner's draw-length. This is to make them more
resistant to breakage, and can be picked up by any archer on the battlefield
knowing how it'll shoot. Also, they can be used in stronger bows for demo's
or competitions without risk - multi funtional, see.

The standard black blunts available from Quicks are fine - make sure you
order the 11/32 inch ones to fit the shafts.

The fletch should be 3 1/2 inches long, 1 inch high at the rear and 5/8 inch
high at the front, three fletch. Self nocks of course. The fletch can be
bound if you like, but this isn't mandatory for combat arrows. Use a
believable colour - undyed linen thread is perfect of course! Oh yes -
fletch colours need to be believable too - black, brown, white or grey
turkey feather is just fine for combat arrows.

Write your name on the shaft about 9 inches back from the blunt so's it's
not visible when it's in the quiver but your personal arrows can be
identified.

The flex of the arrow shaft around the bow when shooting is indeed
important, but I've found it less of a problem with longbows than I did with
modern bows. Something to do with the slower action I suspect. I've shot
matchboxes off sticks with over spined arrows before now, so I haven't
really found it a problem. Well - not with low poundage bows anyway.

Chris Boulton,
Regia National Missiles Officer (for my sins).