[Regia-NA] Re: Norse Women's Fashions/Tracie

Kathy list-regia-na@lig.net
Fri, 14 Nov 2003 08:38:54 -0800 (PST)

--0-694729453-1068827934=:36289

My persona lives on one of the Islands off the west coast of Scotland..  but thanks for the reminder though.. smile.
kathy

Tracie Brown <trbrown@uga.edu> wrote:
Kathy wrote:
>As a Celt i have a working idea as to what a woman would
>wear, but since my partner is Norse, i thought i should at
>least make an attempt to wear the dress of his culture now
>and then.

When you say "Celt" what do you mean? Irish? Scottish?
There was no generic "celtic" in the middle ages -- the idea
of one Celtic people is of very recent origin.
Weird tale involving this concept: My boss was on a panel
that turned down a request for a grant for a Celtic festival
on the grounds that it was not sufficiently ethnically
diverse. (He didn't agree, but was out-voted.) Just try
telling the Scots, Irish, Manx, Gallicians, Welsh, Cornish
and Bretons involved that they aren't ethnically diverse!

-- Tracie
--0-694729453-1068827934=:36289

<DIV>My persona lives on one of the Islands off the west coast of Scotland..&nbsp; but thanks for the reminder though.. smile.</DIV>
<DIV>kathy <BR><BR><B><I>Tracie Brown &lt;trbrown@uga.edu&gt;</I></B> wrote:</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE class=replbq style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">Kathy wrote:<BR>&gt;As a Celt i have a working idea as to what a woman would <BR>&gt;wear, but since my partner is Norse, i thought i should at <BR>&gt;least make an attempt to wear the dress of his culture now <BR>&gt;and then. <BR><BR>When you say "Celt" what do you mean? Irish? Scottish? <BR>There was no generic "celtic" in the middle ages -- the idea <BR>of one Celtic people is of very recent origin. <BR>Weird tale involving this concept: My boss was on a panel <BR>that turned down a request for a grant for a Celtic festival <BR>on the grounds that it was not sufficiently ethnically <BR>diverse. (He didn't agree, but was out-voted.) Just try <BR>telling the Scots, Irish, Manx, Gallicians, Welsh, Cornish <BR>and Bretons involved that they aren't ethnically diverse!<BR><BR>-- Tracie<BR>_______________________________________________<BR>list-regia-na mailing