[Regia-NA] Re: Norse Women's Fashions

Tracie Brown list-regia-na@lig.net
Fri, 14 Nov 2003 11:28:09 -0500

Kathy wrote:
>As a Celt i have a working idea as to what a woman would
>wear, but since my partner is Norse, i thought i should at
>least make an attempt to wear the dress of his culture  now
>and then.

   When you say "Celt" what do you mean? Irish? Scottish?
There was no generic "celtic" in the middle ages -- the idea
of one Celtic people is of very recent origin.
   Weird tale involving this concept:  My boss was on a panel
that turned down a request for a grant for a Celtic festival
on the grounds that it was not sufficiently ethnically
diverse. (He didn't agree, but was out-voted.)  Just try
telling the Scots, Irish, Manx, Gallicians, Welsh, Cornish
and Bretons involved that they aren't ethnically diverse!

-- Tracie