[Regia-NA] Book recommendations?

Phil Scott list-regia-na@lig.net
Mon, 3 Nov 2003 22:06:22 -0000

You MUST look at the work of Stephen Morillo. His "The Battle of Hastings"
contains all the primary sources on the battle, plus a detailed
interpretation of them. His "Warfare Under the Anglo-Norman Kings,
1066-1135" will provide a wider context.

You will also want to look at "Anglo-Norman Warfare" Ed. Matthew Strickland,
which is a good collection of articles.

You might also want to take a look at "The Normans and Their Adversaries at
War" Ed. by Bacharach and Abels (I think), but definitely published by
Boydell and Brewer.

You might also check to see if your library holds "Anglo-Norman Studies"
(sometimes called Proceedings of the Battle Conference on Anglo-Norman
Studies), various volumes from 1978 to date; and/or the Journal of the
Haskins Society (check out their website at:
http://www.haskins.cornell.edu/).

Finally, I know you said no articles, but see if you can get hold of History
(Journal of the Historical Association - UK) Vol 74, Number 240, Feb 1989.
There is an article called "The Mercenary and his Master: Military Service
and Monetary Reward in the Eleventh and Twelfth Centuries" by Stephen Brown.
If you really can't get a copy e-mail me off the list (make the title
something like Norman Mercenaries, otherwise it will probably get deleted as
spam) and I'll try and find some time to scan it for you.

Phil