[Regia-NA] Book recommendations?

list-regia-na@lig.net list-regia-na@lig.net
Mon, 03 Nov 2003 13:24:20 -0600

Hey all

I'm taking a class right now, English History 1000-1399. Good stuff.

We have an essay due in March, we get to pick the topic as long as she
pre-approves it. I'm writing, "The Impact of the Norman Conquest on English
Warfare". It'll basically be an overview of the thegn & fyrd system vs. the
feudal military system, evolution of arms, rise of archery, cavalry & the birth
of the Knight, etc.

I'm looking for books, she wants us to hand in our essay topic and full
bibliography on February 2. I think about ten books would be good; I already
have "Campaigns of the Norman Conquest" by Bennett, "Anglo Saxon Weapons and
Warfare" by Underwood, and a pretty good copy of The ASC.

I'm looking for a couple primary sources from the Norman Era (William I, William
II, Henry I, Stephen), or 10th or 11th century English sources (Battle of
Maldon?) to paint a clear picture of warfare before the Conquest (infantry,
shield walls etc.)

Also, good secondary sources would be great. Nothing too obscure, I only have
three months to get it through Inter Library Loan. Don't worry if it's a huge
tome, even if I can pull out a few quotes that's great. I'm not exactly going
into the topic blind.

Lastly, she's putting some emphasis on the late Norman introduction of the
Chivalric romance, so I should include this (Although it seems to be much more
of an Angevin affectation). The earliest Chivalric literature I know of is
Raymond Lull. Aside from perhaps the Song of Roland, is there any distinctly
Norman chivalric literature?

Not trying to get you to do my homework, I'm sure I can find more than enough
material on my own. I just thought the members here may be able to point me
towards some of the better works in the field.

Thanks greatly in advance,

~Wil

PS- No articles, please. Perhaps it's just this library, but they seem to take
too long to come in. I'm still waiting on a couple articles I ordered at the end
of August.