[Regia-NA] Mantle question

Jan Ward list-regia-na@lig.net
Mon, 3 Nov 2003 19:13:01 -0800 (PST)

Take a very small snippet of yarn or fabric and set a
match to it. I usually do it out of doors or over a
tin can on my stove under the range hood. Both the
smell and the residue can give you clues as to the
composition.
Wool smells like hair. Cotton and linen are cellulose
and smell something like paper. Synthetics smell like
toxic waste. Well, maybe not quite that bad, but they
have a harsh, acrid, sometimes vinegary smell,
depending on the synthetic.
Cotton and linen burn to ash. Cotton burns quickly.
Wool burns more slowly, and tends to self-extinguish
when you remove the flame. synthetics melt into a hard
bead.
Edwinna