[Regia-NA] Helmet

J K Siddorn list-regia-na@lig.net
Sat, 28 Jun 2003 13:10:42 +0100

The "woven" lattice work helmets are three hundred years earlier than the
period that Regia generally portrays.

I'd be the first to agree that helmets of Great Worth might well have
remained in occasional use (there is some evidence that the Coppergate
Helmet was in use for nearly 200 years), but we really must avoid making the
unusual the norm.

I know it is a poor example as things change so fast now, but look at any
thirty year period of history at close range and those who lived through
that generation would agree instantly that fashions had changed during their
lifetimes.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Bacon is a friend
in the salad bowl of life

----- Original Message -----
From: "Schuster, Robert L." <SchusterRL@umsystem.edu>
To: <list-regia-na@lig.net>
Sent: Friday, June 27, 2003 3:37 PM
Subject: RE: [Regia-NA] Helmet

-----Original Message-----
From: nathan [mailto:fenrirr@lycos.co.uk]
Sent: Thursday, June 26, 2003 6:07 PM
To: list-regia-na@lig.net

The Wencelaus helmet does not have any holes around the base.

It is mostly surrounded by a thick metal band, as illustrated ...
http://www.missouri.edu/~rls555/SCA/research/helms/stwenesc.jpg

---huh, and here i spent a few hours looking for a pic of the W helm and it
was on my own page the whole, i am slipping;)

And i agree, no evidence for internaly fixed padding (or even suspension
webbing) afaik.  Not as familair with the vendel stuff as i would like to
be, anyone care to comment from that front.

--i haven't really run across anything in my studies of these helms (which
is about to get more serious btw, i have finally found someone who is
willing to translate the books for me, but it will be slow;) that suggest
what sort of padding might have been used.

Tweddle does suggest the following about the spaces in the woven helms:

"The sections were originally slightly separated so that the open work
effect was showcased (It has been suggested that these areas were also
suppose to be decorative by the enhancement of wearing a colored leather or
textile cap underneath)."

maybe it was to showcase a decorative padded arming cap like thing?

Halvgrimr