[Regia-NA] Helmet

Schuster, Robert L. list-regia-na@lig.net
Fri, 27 Jun 2003 09:37:57 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: nathan [mailto:fenrirr@lycos.co.uk]
Sent: Thursday, June 26, 2003 6:07 PM
To: list-regia-na@lig.net
Subject: RE: [Regia-NA] Helmet

The Wencelaus helmet does not have any holes around the base.

It is mostly surrounded by a thick metal band, as illustrated ...
http://www.missouri.edu/~rls555/SCA/research/helms/stwenesc.jpg

---huh, and here i spent a few hours looking for a pic of the W helm and =
it was on my own page the whole, i am slipping;)

And i agree, no evidence for internaly fixed padding (or even suspension
webbing) afaik.  Not as familair with the vendel stuff as i would like =
be, anyone care to comment from that front.

--i haven't really run across anything in my studies of these helms =
(which is about to get more serious btw, i have finally found someone =
who is willing to translate the books for me, but it will be slow;) that =
suggest what sort of padding might have been used.

Tweddle does suggest the following about the spaces in the woven helms:

"The sections were originally slightly separated so that the open work =
effect was showcased (It has been suggested that these areas were also =
suppose to be decorative by the enhancement of wearing a colored leather =
or textile cap underneath)."

maybe it was to showcase a decorative padded arming cap like thing?

Halvgrimr