[Regia-NA] Mail?

Wulfhere se Treowryhta list-regia-na@lig.net
Thu, 26 Jun 2003 17:07:22 -0400

Flat rectangular sounds more like "was round and got pounded flat to
make a riveting surface". Which makes sense. So, sounds like round wire
with flattened overlaps for the rivets was the order of the day.

Biggest problem I face folks is that my local library can't get any of
these "works" I see in the regia lists and the universities only allow
registered students in their libraries. Museum libraries might be an
option if they were open more than 1 hour a week.

So, I can procure, at reasonable cost, soft steel round section rings
with flattened overlapped ends. The same supplier sells triangular
copper rivets for assembly. Sound reasonable enough for a 10th Century
Saxon?

Bigger question:  Are Saxon and Norse weapons and armor of the same
period close enough to be considered one and the same, or at least
pertinent to each other?