[Regia-NA] Mail?

Schuster, Robert L. list-regia-na@lig.net
Thu, 26 Jun 2003 12:24:29 -0500

> Actually, there are probably people reading this list with more
> authoritative sources on Viking age mail than I have readily at hand.
> Perhaps one of them could answer your questions.
>
> Bill

IIRC the article "Catalogue of Scandinavian mail" by Sonia A. O'Conner =
(which is in Dominic Tweddle's "The Anglian Helmet from Coppergate.") =
states that there is some evidence of mail of square cross section from =
Tuna, Gotland but they were unsure if this was mail or part of a chain.

I know that in the article Rus Scott wrote about mail he believed that =
"There are no square sectioned links, at best there is the possibility =
of some flat rectangular sectioned links."

I am not sure how he came to that conclusion but I am sure he has done =
more research on the subject than I have.

Halvgrimr