[Regia-NA] New England Living History?

list-regia-na@lig.net list-regia-na@lig.net
Thu, 26 Jun 2003 11:35:31 -0400

Quabbin?  Central Mass, are you?

Perhaps a phone call to the Sturbridge Village folks to see where they tap
for funding might help?  We had several (CT) school fieldtrips to that and
Mystic Seaport (as well as a few family day trips to both places).

I'd say the main difference is that Sturbridge and Mystic count for American
History, while it's probably a harder sell for an English History site to
American school systems.  (Then again, you are in *New* England.)  Since I
know of no other medieval living history sites in this country, and most
schools do study the medieval period, there might be potential from that
angle.

Perhaps you'd be allowed to thin enough timber to make a spot for a hall in
a forest?  If you opened it up to the public for specific demonstrations on
specific weekends/weeks of the year, perhaps that would work?

I suspect there are other folks on this list who have much more experience
with such things.  I'm just speculating!  But if you've got the land you're
way ahead of a lot of us.

--charlotte mayhew