[Regia-NA] New England Living History?

William R. Short list-regia-na@lig.net
Thu, 26 Jun 2003 12:14:08 -0400

crmayhew@hotmail.com wrote:

>Quabbin?  Central Mass, are you?
>
>Perhaps a phone call to the Sturbridge Village folks to see where they tap
>for funding might help?

Another useful resource might be museums and other cultural institutions in
the area.  At Hurstwic, we had developed a nice relationship with Higgins
Armory Museum, which was in a position to help us make connections with
educational and grant-giving institutions.  Alas, Hurstwic folded before
the relationship bore fruit.

>I'd say the main difference is that Sturbridge and Mystic count for American
>History, while it's probably a harder sell for an English History site to
>American school systems.

On the other hand, Viking age history _is_ a part of the normal public
school education, at least in Massachusetts.  The first exposure is in the
5th grade, where Viking exploration of North America is part of the
curriculum.  (That's why virtually all the requests for school visits I get
are from 5th grade teachers.)

Bill