[Regia-NA] featherstitching

Carolyn Priest-Dorman list-regia-na@lig.net
Sun, 22 Jun 2003 09:51:44 -0400

Charlotte wrote:

>Actually, I'd like to see photos of the "van Dyke" cross stitch and
>featherstitching.  Am not quite sure whta you mean by either from the
>description!

This is a common transatlantic problem with stitch names.  For example,
what I learned as "feather stitch" is *not* used in the period, but the
same name may denote entirely an different stitch type in other
English-speaking countries.  A picture can be worth well more than a
thousand words!

If you'll look at my Viking embroidery web page you'll see drawings of some
stitches that were used over seams, including the Mammen one.

http://www.cs.vassar.edu/~capriest/vikembroid.html

The decoration on the Llangorse textile was a braid, made separately and
stitched to the textile.  This type of ornamentation is seen elsewhere,
e.g., in the Cuthbert embroideries and on clothing from Birka and Hedeby.

Carolyn Priest-Dorman              Þóra Sharptooth
  http://www.cs.vassar.edu/~capriest/thora.html