[Regia-NA] featherstitching

Hazel Uzzell list-regia-na@lig.net
Sun, 22 Jun 2003 17:32:08 +0100

In the drawings from 'Mammen Grav, kunst og samfund i vikingtid'  Ed. Mette
Iverson. p136. The stitch edging the cushion is described as a 'raised
fishbone stitch'  placed over the seam. This does not resemble either the
fishbone stitch or the herringbone stitch so named in the Madeira book of
embroidery stitches. In Birka III  Agnes Geiger p110 there is a drawing of
what I considered to be the closest to Van Dike stitch, although this is not
identical. This resembles cross stitch with one 'long leg' when worked. I
mistakenly attributed this stitch to the Mammen cushion.Geiger calls this
'osenstitch'
'Feather stitch' in the above named stitch book does not resemble anything
that I have seen from the period. Any ideas where I can find it Vara?
Cheers,
Hazel