[Regia-NA] shoes

Yolli list-regia-na@lig.net
Sat, 21 Jun 2003 22:01:46 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: list-regia-na-admin@lig.net [mailto:list-regia-na-admin@lig.net]
On Behalf Of Matthew Marino
Sent: 19 June 2003 05:38
To: list-regia-na@lig.net
Now I've only been making shoes for re-enactment since 1985 - but over
here in Old Blighty, we don't use the measurement of oz'sss for the
weight or thickness of leather. I think all we use is millimeters - but
I could have been overlooking the obvious for some time....

Cheers, Roll.

Subject: Re: [Regia-NA] shoes

It's not so bad. I used an edge-flesh seam to join the upper and sole.
I used an awl much like a bee stinger. short, sharp and curved with a
1/2 radius, wax it often. So, your never going right through the 12oz.
As for the turn, agian, it's more patience than strength. If you turn a
little then put it down, turn a little and put it down again, eventualy
you've got it. If you try to put the gorilla grips on it and turn it by
force you'll likely just tear out a seam or two.

It's worth the effort because a sole like that a.) lasts, b.) blocks
the bumps from your foot and c.) helps the rest of the shoe know which
way is down.