[Regia-NA] spindles & distaffs

Joy Cain list-regia-na@lig.net
Fri, 06 Jun 2003 22:07:46 -0400

--------------080801080509050204020505

Indigo Hound makes a nice (sharp!) set of Viking wool combs which I use.
You can get them at the Woolery http://www.woolery.com and through other
fiber vendors. They have a nice heft and are rather inexpensive. They
are also nice for threatening fighters.

I have made my own whorls out of soapstone and have purchased several
spindles from different vendors over the years (spindles are habit
forming). Mistress Barbara atte Dragon makes hers from clay and
sometimes pit fires them. She also carves the shafts herself (I just
measure dowels to fit). i own one artifact whorl, a lead one and have
seen smilar whorls at the Woolery and other places.

Joy

J Hill wrote:

> For Anglo-Saxon women, rather than Scandinavian women, was the drop
> spindle a bottom whorl?  & did it have a notch at the top or a carved
> hook?
> Are you making your own or buying them & where?
> Did one use a distaff for flax only or for wool as well & what shape
> did it take?
> Also, what hand-combs are you using?  I cannot afford to buy new combs
> right yet, but want larger ones eventually.  I currently have the
> Louet Mini-combs which are inappropriate due to the plastic insert,
> I'm sure.  <G>
> &, anyone who has found good purveyors of these goods in the States,
> please let me know.  Yrs, Ælfgifu
>
> Jennifer Hill
> Ælfgifu
> Wes ðu hal.

--------------080801080509050204020505

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Indigo Hound makes a nice (sharp!) set of Viking wool combs which I use.
You can get them at the Woolery <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.woolery.com">http://www.woolery.com</a> and through other
fiber vendors. They have a nice heft and are rather inexpensive. They are
also nice for threatening fighters.<br>
I have made my own whorls out of soapstone and have purchased several spindles
from different vendors over the years (spindles are habit forming). Mistress
Barbara atte Dragon makes hers from clay and sometimes pit fires them. She
also carves the shafts herself (I just measure dowels to fit). i own one
artifact whorl, a lead one and have seen smilar whorls at the Woolery and
other places. <br>
Joy<br>
J Hill wrote:<br>
 cite="mid000a01c32c8c$c5f46e40$01fea8c0@yourn3ty7athd5">

 women, was the drop spindle a bottom whorl?&nbsp; &amp; did it have a notch at
 the top or a carved hook?</font></div>

&amp;  where?</font></div>

for wool as  well &amp; what shape did it take?&nbsp; </font></div>

I cannot  afford to buy new combs right yet, but want larger ones eventually.&nbsp;
I  currently have the Louet Mini-combs which are inappropriate due to the
plastic  insert, I'm sure.&nbsp; &lt;G&gt;</font></div>

of these  goods in the States, please let me know.&nbsp; Yrs, &AElig;lfgifu</font></div>

Jennifer Hill<br>
&AElig;lfgifu<br>
Wes &eth;u  hal.<br>

--------------080801080509050204020505--