[Regia-NA] That Wheelbarrow Manuscript

Carolyn Priest-Dorman list-regia-na@lig.net
Tue, 03 Jun 2003 22:28:30 -0400

Okay, so there I was at the dining room table, helping brainstorm a new
kitchen worktable for our Pennsic camp, when I came upon another
reproduction of that 13th century manuscript illumination with the
wheelbarrow.  It's in this book.

         Goldstream, Nicola.  _Masons and Sculptors_.  Medieval Craftsmen
series.  University of Toronto Press [British Museum Press], 1991.  ISBN
0-8020-6916-9.

The relevant page number is 11, illustration 9.  The manuscript number and
folio number Goldstream gives are Trinity College Dublin 177, fol.
59v.  That manuscript is Matthew Paris's "Lives of St. Alban and St.
Amphibalus."  Goldsmith lists it with a different manuscript number than
the book in which I originally saw it.  Perhaps that accounts for my not
being able to find it in any of the compilations I checked at the time I
found it. ;/

Anyway, so I rechecked and found a catalogue entry for the manuscript in
this source.

         Morgan, Nigel.  _Early Gothic Manuscripts [I] 1190-1250_.  A
Survey of Manuscripts Illuminated in the British Isles, vol. 4, part
1.  Oxford:  Oxford University Press, 1982.  ISBN 019-921026-8.

The catalogue entry is number 85 ("Dublin, Trinity College MS 177
[E.I.40]), on pages 130-133.  It says the manuscript is dated to circa
1240-1250.

I feel much better now that's solved.  It was really bothering me that I
couldn't find a reference to the darned thing.  My eyes told me it was 13th
century, and there I was, forced to check in the (shudder) 15th century
volume, just to be sure I hadn't totally misjudged!

And while I'm at it, I think I have to go write someone about those 13th
century coifs on the cover of _Masons and Sculptors_.... ;>

Carolyn Priest-Dorman              Þóra Sharptooth
  http://www.cs.vassar.edu/~capriest/thora.html