[Regia-NA] That Wheelbarrow Manuscript

rmhowe list-regia-na@lig.net
Fri, 13 Jun 2003 14:19:37 -0400

I think it's Woodworker the British magazine that has plans for
a wooden one in the 19th C fashion in this current issue.
Same as one would see among the forty or so types I have
pictures of from places like Williamsburg, VA, the circa 1750
recreated Colonial town.

Seems like I remember wheelbarrows in:
Singer, Charles (ed. et al): A History of Technology, Volume II, The
Mediterranean Civilizations and the Middle Ages c. 700 BC
to c. A.D. 1500; 1956, Oxford University Press, New York and
London.

And of course they are in De Re Metallica by Agricola,
late period but...
http://www.medievalwood.org/charles/

I have an assembled book in which I have various pictures of
some from the middle ages, but I can't upload them in any fashion.
The Chronicles of Matthew Paris do have some as I recall.

Leave it to the Chinese to invent the one man / one big wheel
wheelbarrow that can haul six or so passengers or about a
thousand pounds of material tied to it.
I got a 1930's National Geographic this week that shows
the thing also being towed by a donkey or two.
CHINA AT WORK is an amazing book on their 'primitive'
technology.

Magnus