[Regia-NA] Can a virus do this?

Joy Cain list-regia-na@lig.net
Tue, 18 Jun 2002 08:42:58 -0400

--MS_Mac_OE_3107234578_7664083_MIME_Part

The deviants that create viruses can do almost anything these days. It does
sound more than possible as some viruses are sent as an attachment and the
suffix (html, scr and the like) can be random. All you can do is update your
anti-virus definitions often and pray.

Of course having a Mac makes you less of a target ;)

Personally, I think that the individuals that create such damaging viruses
should have their fingernails removed and be forced to type War and Peace
for Project Gutenberg (at least then they will be doing a service to
humanity)

Joy

From: "J. K. Siddorn" <kim.siddorn@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 22:44:33 +0100
To: "Regia UK E-group" <regia@yahoogroups.com>, <list-regia-na@lig.net>
Subject: [Regia-NA] Can a virus do this?

I paste this in from a newsgroup to which I contribute. Is this possible???

There is indeed a virus doing the rounds, I have also received three blank
e-mails with HTML attachments - this is the virus. The virus gradually
corrupts all *.exe files on your system, once the *.exe files have been
damaged you cannot repair them - you must  re-install them from your
original discs. Once you have received the virus it will resend it's self to
random people from your address book. It also selects another address from
your book to name as the sender, so it is difficult to trace where it has
come from. It also makes up a subject heading.

This virus also detects virus checkers / scanners and turns them off.!

The only way I have found to remove the virus is by creating an emergency
boot disc from McAfee Virus Checker, and power up the PC with the boot disc
in the drive. The damaged *.exe files must then be re-installed.

You will need the latest virus data-base from McAfee before creating the
boot disc.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn.

The early bird may get the worm -
but the second mouse gets the cheese!

--MS_Mac_OE_3107234578_7664083_MIME_Part

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: [Regia-NA] Can a virus do this?</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
The deviants that create viruses can do almost anything these days. It does=
 sound more than possible as some viruses are sent as an attachment and the =
suffix (html, scr and the like) can be random. All you can do is update your=
 anti-virus definitions often and pray.<BR>
<BR>
Of course having a Mac makes you less of a target ;)<BR>
<BR>
Personally, I think that the individuals that create such damaging viruses =
should have their fingernails removed and be forced to type War and Peace fo=
r Project Gutenberg (at least then they will be doing a service to humanity)=
<BR>
<BR>
Joy<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<B>From: </B>&quot;J. K. Siddorn&quot; &lt;kim.siddorn@blueyonder.co.uk&gt;=
<BR>
<B>Reply-To: </B>list-regia-na@lig.net<BR>
<B>Date: </B>Mon, 17 Jun 2002 22:44:33 +0100<BR>
<B>To: </B>&quot;Regia UK E-group&quot; &lt;regia@yahoogroups.com&gt;, &lt;=
list-regia-na@lig.net&gt;<BR>
<B>Subject: </B>[Regia-NA] Can a virus do this?<BR>
<BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Garamond">I paste this in from a newsgroup to which=
 I contribute. Is this possible???<BR>
</FONT> <BR>
<FONT FACE=3D"Garamond">&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<=

</FONT> <BR>
<FONT FACE=3D"Garamond">There is indeed a virus doing the rounds, I have also=
 received three blank<BR>
e-mails with HTML attachments - this is the virus. The virus gradually<BR>
corrupts all *.exe files on your system, once the *.exe files have been<BR>
damaged you cannot repair them - you must &nbsp;re-install them from your<B=

original discs. Once you have received the virus it will resend it's self t=
o<BR>
random people from your address book. It also selects another address from<=

your book to name as the sender, so it is difficult to trace where it has<B=

come from. It also makes up a subject heading.<BR>
<BR>
This virus also detects virus checkers / scanners and turns them off.!<BR>
<BR>
The only way I have found to remove the virus is by creating an emergency<B=

boot disc from McAfee Virus Checker, and power up the PC with the boot disc=
<BR>
in the drive. The damaged *.exe files must then be re-installed.<BR>
<BR>
You will need the latest virus data-base from McAfee before creating the<BR=

boot disc.<BR>
<BR>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>
<BR>
Regards,<BR>
</FONT> <BR>
<BR>
Kim Siddorn.<BR>
 <BR>
The early bird may get the worm -<BR>
but the second mouse gets the cheese! <BR>
 <BR>
 <BR>
<BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--MS_Mac_OE_3107234578_7664083_MIME_Part--