[Regia-NA] Can a virus do this?

J. K. Siddorn list-regia-na@lig.net
Mon, 17 Jun 2002 22:44:33 +0100

------=_NextPart_000_0127_01C21650.8CB62FE0

I paste this in from a newsgroup to which I contribute. Is this =
possible???

There is indeed a virus doing the rounds, I have also received three =
blank
e-mails with HTML attachments - this is the virus. The virus gradually
corrupts all *.exe files on your system, once the *.exe files have been
damaged you cannot repair them - you must  re-install them from your
original discs. Once you have received the virus it will resend it's =
self to
random people from your address book. It also selects another address =
from
your book to name as the sender, so it is difficult to trace where it =
has
come from. It also makes up a subject heading.

This virus also detects virus checkers / scanners and turns them off.!

The only way I have found to remove the virus is by creating an =
emergency
boot disc from McAfee Virus Checker, and power up the PC with the boot =
disc
in the drive. The damaged *.exe files must then be re-installed.

You will need the latest virus data-base from McAfee before creating the
boot disc.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn.

The early bird may get the worm -
but the second mouse gets the cheese!=20

------=_NextPart_000_0127_01C21650.8CB62FE0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DGaramond>I paste this in from a newsgroup to which I =
contribute.=20
Is this possible???</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DGaramond></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT=20
face=3DGaramond>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;</FON=
T></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DGaramond></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DGaramond>There is indeed a virus doing the rounds, I =
have also=20
received three blank<BR>e-mails with HTML attachments - this is the =
virus. The=20
virus gradually<BR>corrupts all *.exe files on your system, once the =
*.exe files=20
have been<BR>damaged you cannot repair them - you must&nbsp; re-install =
them=20
from your<BR>original discs. Once you have received the virus it will =
resend=20
it's self to<BR>random people from your address book. It also selects =
another=20
address from<BR>your book to name as the sender, so it is difficult to =
trace=20
where it has<BR>come from. It also makes up a subject =
heading.<BR><BR>This virus=20
also detects virus checkers / scanners and turns them off.!<BR><BR>The =
only way=20
I have found to remove the virus is by creating an emergency<BR>boot =
disc from=20
McAfee Virus Checker, and power up the PC with the boot disc<BR>in the =
drive.=20
The damaged *.exe files must then be re-installed.<BR><BR>You will need =
the=20
latest virus data-base from McAfee before creating the<BR>boot=20
disc.<BR><BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>=
</FONT><FONT=20
face=3DGaramond><BR>Regards,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><BR>Kim Siddorn.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>The early bird may get the worm -<BR>but the second mouse gets the =
cheese!=20
</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>