[Regia-NA] Re: Old English

Ealdric Frog_Hollow list-regia-na@lig.net
Sat, 15 Jun 2002 18:41:24 -0400

--=====================_3125713==_.ALT

Try this site: http://www.asbooks.co.uk/index.htm

At 03:08 PM 6/2/2002, you wrote:

>I would be very interested in locating books on Old English suitable for=20
>self-teaching.  I do not have access to any classes in the field. Gwen=20
>verch Rhys
>
>   Martin Field <marfield66@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>Tom
>The word Geteld is is pronounced in the same way as Gesi=F0a in as much as=
 the
>"Ge" sounds like "Yee" -Yeeteld.
>I'm now aware that the "ld" is treated any diferently however I must stress
>I'm no authority on Old English.
>I'll most likely be going to an introductoryy course in the Fall which
>starts off with 6 weeks of Old English then progresses to Early Middle,=
 then
>Middle E. to Modern E. then winds up back to Old English.
>I'm fortunate that the husband of one of our new members in Canada of The
>English Companions heads up the Department of Linguisticts at Trent
>University, Ontario and has advised me that this would be a good
>introduction course to take for myself as I speak no othe languages, before
>I enter a course which comprises 100% O.E.
>On a personal note I think I am a sort of shell in as much as I can wear=
 the
>finest Anglo-Clothing and display the demeanor but without speaking at=
 least
>some of the language a very critical component is missing. I think that
>appplies to any society or persona we are trying to portay.
>I'm trying to encourage the members of a nearby SCA group who will be
>participating in an Anglo-Saxon village event to at least speak some easy=
>learn one-liners associated to their trade or status. Even if thay say to
>the public "good morning" or "good afternnoon, my name is ..." - "Good
>mergen, min nama is ...." "Good afen, min nama is ........"
>Out of curiosity, how many of us can speak some Old Norse or Old Engilsh ?
>Cheers
>Martin

Ealdric of Frog Hollow
"If the stars should appear but one night in a thousand years,...."

Ealdric of Frog Hollow  ealdric@bellsouth.net

--=====================_3125713==_.ALT

 eudora=3D"autourl">http://www.asbooks.co.uk/index.htm<br><br>
locating books on Old English suitable for self-teaching.&nbsp; I do not
have access to any classes in the field. Gwen verch Rhys <br><br>
wrote:=20
<dl>
<dd>Tom
<dd>The word Geteld is is pronounced in the same way as Gesi=F0a in as much
as the
<dd>&quot;Ge&quot; sounds like &quot;Yee&quot; -Yeeteld.
<dd>I'm now aware that the &quot;ld&quot; is treated any diferently
however I must stress
<dd>I'm no authority on Old English.
<dd>I'll most likely be going to an introductoryy course in the Fall
which
<dd>starts off with 6 weeks of Old English then progresses to Early
Middle, then
<dd>Middle E. to Modern E. then winds up back to Old English.
<dd>I'm fortunate that the husband of one of our new members in Canada of
The
<dd>English Companions heads up the Department of Linguisticts at Trent
<dd>University, Ontario and has advised me that this would be a good
<dd>introduction course to take for myself as I speak no othe languages,
before
<dd>I enter a course which comprises 100% O.E.
<dd>On a personal note I think I am a sort of shell in as much as I can
wear the
<dd>finest Anglo-Clothing and display the demeanor but without speaking
at least
<dd>some of the language a very critical component is missing. I think
that
<dd>appplies to any society or persona we are trying to portay.
<dd>I'm trying to encourage the members of a nearby SCA group who will
be
<dd>participating in an Anglo-Saxon village event to at least speak some
easy to
<dd>learn one-liners associated to their trade or status. Even if thay
say to
<dd>the public &quot;good morning&quot; or &quot;good afternnoon, my name
is ...&quot; - &quot;Good
<dd>mergen, min nama is ....&quot; &quot;Good afen, min nama is
........&quot;
<dd>Out of curiosity, how many of us can speak some Old Norse or Old
Engilsh ?
<dd>Cheers
<dd>Martin
<dd>----- Original Message -----
<dd>From:=20
<dd>To:=20
<dd>Sent: Saturday, June 01, 2002 11:36 PM

<dd>&gt; Hi again,
<dd>&gt; Here I go 'talking' to myself again...
<dd>&gt;
<dd>&gt; &gt; Now, I've done a bit of research on Anglo-Saxon tents
<dd>&gt; &gt; (also called Getelds...pronounced yeteld or something
<dd>&gt; &gt; like that in case you're curious).
<dd>&gt; Actually, if you're not speaking ON I think it would
<dd>&gt; more likely be phonetically spelled &quot;ueteld&quot;. When
you
<dd>&gt; have a &quot;G&quot; (or is it a &quot;Ge&quot;?) at the
beginning of a
<dd>&gt; word in OE, it's pronounced more like a &quot;U&quot;. Now=20
that
<dd>&gt; I'm thinking about it, doesn't something funny happen
<dd>&gt; to the pronounciation of the &quot;ld&quot; at the end of the
<dd>&gt; word?
<dd>&gt;
<dd>&gt; What do you say Martin? (or any of you other OE people
<dd>&gt; out there?)
<dd>&gt;
<dd>&gt; To further muddy the water, one of the more curious
<dd>&gt; things I learned from the AS seminar I went to in March
<dd>&gt; is that it would appear most of the examples of Runes
<dd>&gt; from Anglo Saxon England show up in contexts where the
<dd>&gt; author seems to also know Latin. Contrary to the idea
<dd>&gt; that Runes were being used by the uneducated masses
<dd>&gt; they appear to be used by the intelligentia.
<dd>&gt;
<dd>&gt; Also it seems that some people have deduced that the AS
<dd>&gt; flavor of Latin
h<a href=3D"http://rd.yahoo.com/welcome/*http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com">Yaho=
o!</a>
- Official partner of 2002 FIFA World Cup </blockquote>
<x-sigsep><p></x-sigsep>

but one night in a thousand years,....&quot;<br><br>
ealdric@bellsouth.net<br>