[Regia-NA] getelds

Martin Field list-regia-na@lig.net
Mon, 3 Jun 2002 00:09:40 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_003F_01C20A92.F477F380

Hi Jennifer
Try browsing my site at  www.an-saxim.com
You are very welcome to contact me via the hyperlink addresses on the =
web-site for further information or email me personally at  =
marfield66@sympatico.ca as I normally wish to avoid using this egroup as =
a selling medium.
Look forward to hearing from you
Martin Field

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Jennifer Hill=20
  To: list-regia-na@lig.net=20
  Sent: Sunday, June 02, 2002 3:08 PM
  Subject: Re: [Regia-NA] getelds

  I would be very interested in locating books on Old English suitable =
for self-teaching.  I do not have access to any classes in the field. =
Gwen verch Rhys=20

    Martin Field <marfield66@sympatico.ca> wrote:=20

    Tom
    The word Geteld is is pronounced in the same way as Gesi=F0a in as =
much as the
    "Ge" sounds like "Yee" -Yeeteld.
    I'm now aware that the "ld" is treated any diferently however I must =
stress
    I'm no authority on Old English.
    I'll most likely be going to an introductoryy course in the Fall =
which
    starts off with 6 weeks of Old English then progresses to Early =
Middle, then
    Middle E. to Modern E. then winds up back to Old English.
    I'm fortunate that the husband of one of our new members in Canada =
of The
    English Companions heads up the Department of Linguisticts at Trent
    University, Ontario and has advised me that this would be a good
    introduction course to take for myself as I speak no othe languages, =
before
    I enter a course which comprises 100% O.E.
    On a personal note I think I am a sort of shell in as much as I can =
wear the
    finest Anglo-Clothing and display the demeanor but without speaking =
at least
    some of the language a very critical component is missing. I think =
that
    appplies to any society or persona we are trying to portay.
    I'm trying to encourage the members of a nearby SCA group who will =
be
    participating in an Anglo-Saxon village event to at least speak some =
easy to
    learn one-liners associated to their trade or status. Even if thay =
say to
    the public "good morning" or "good afternnoon, my name is ..." - =
"Good
    mergen, min nama is ...." "Good afen, min nama is ........"
    Out of curiosity, how many of us can speak some Old Norse or Old =
Engilsh ?
    Cheers
    Martin