[Regia-NA] getelds

yolli list-regia-na@lig.net
Wed, 5 Jun 2002 17:09:44 +0100

In 1995 or so we had a show in Leixlip just west of Dublin. The ground was
very flat with only cow dung as an annoyance, and at the end of the field
was the reservoir that supplies the brewery for Guiness - in which floated
the bloated carcass of a cow......

Anyway, the weather did take a turn for the worse and a real gale blew up.
People quoted various forces of gale, but I would say that as it was
difficult to walk when it gusted, it must have been in the 40 - 50 mph gust
region. I saw three tents fly before they were staked down. It's amazing how
quickly the take off - there's just no warning. Two took to flying without
any damage, but a third was struck down. Chloe's tent by the
way.........that for some of us here should explain everything.

When it does get frisky, I prefer to use two large stakes at the fore and
aft position of the tent. We run a rope through the crutches of the tent
from one stake to the other, and use a lorry hitch to pull the tent back to
earth. Probably by then a ditch has been dug around the tent as a well.

Ask Ian about Largs and his Viking Kite...........

Roll.

[If it's their only tent?  You betcha!  When it was two years old, ours
rolled onto the battlefield at Pennsic during a major summer thunderstorm.
Both the frame and the canvas still display their "war wounds" proudly. ;>
Oh, and we learned to stake the thing down when camping in exposed terrain!]