[Regia-NA] getelds

Jennifer Hill list-regia-na@lig.net
Sun, 2 Jun 2002 12:08:44 -0700 (PDT)

--0-2014839730-1023044924=:92314

 I would be very interested in locating books on Old English suitable for self-teaching.  I do not have access to any classes in the field. Gwen verch Rhys
  Martin Field <marfield66@sympatico.ca> wrote: Tom
The word Geteld is is pronounced in the same way as Gesiša in as much as the
"Ge" sounds like "Yee" -Yeeteld.
I'm now aware that the "ld" is treated any diferently however I must stress
I'm no authority on Old English.
I'll most likely be going to an introductoryy course in the Fall which
starts off with 6 weeks of Old English then progresses to Early Middle, then
Middle E. to Modern E. then winds up back to Old English.
I'm fortunate that the husband of one of our new members in Canada of The
English Companions heads up the Department of Linguisticts at Trent
University, Ontario and has advised me that this would be a good
introduction course to take for myself as I speak no othe languages, before
I enter a course which comprises 100% O.E.
On a personal note I think I am a sort of shell in as much as I can wear the
finest Anglo-Clothing and display the demeanor but without speaking at least
some of the language a very critical component is missing. I think that
appplies to any society or persona we are trying to portay.
I'm trying to encourage the members of a nearby SCA group who will be
participating in an Anglo-Saxon village event to at least speak some easy to
learn one-liners associated to their trade or status. Even if thay say to
the public "good morning" or "good afternnoon, my name is ..." - "Good
mergen, min nama is ...." "Good afen, min nama is ........"
Out of curiosity, how many of us can speak some Old Norse or Old Engilsh ?
Cheers
Martin

Sent: Saturday, June 01, 2002 11:36 PM
Subject: Re: [Regia-NA] getelds