[Regia-NA] first antler comb project = major fustration.

J. K. Siddorn list-regia-na@lig.net
Sat, 27 Jul 2002 02:10:17 +0100

Take a proper all-hard hacksaw blade - NOT the crappy soft back rubbish! -
and. carefully rub off the blue paint (without touching the teeth) with fine
wet and dry abrasive paper.

With two pairs of pliers, break the blade in half and then each half in half
again.

Take two sections, space them apart with a sliver of wood and glue them with
slow setting (NOT the crappy fast setting stuff, it's not strong enough)
epoxy resin into a previously prepared handle.

Viewed from the sharp end, the blades should be the same distance apart as
the finished tooth you require and one blade should be higher than the other
by half the depth of the blade. Put the saw aside for the glue to harden -
if you've got the right glue, it will take 24 hours.

Now you can settle down to cut your comb teeth, each cut being guided by the
blade in the previously cut slot, thus ending up with straight, even teeth.
Tips? Finish the comb before cutting the teeth, it will ensure that it looks
right. Tip2? SAW SLOWLY AND GENTLY!

Oh, yes, this saw type is authentic, so you can use it where the public can
see you.

Best of luck.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn.

"When men die, their Maker may reward them for their efforts by allowing
them to live again as male dogs. Thus freed from inhibition, they can spend
a cheerful existence doing all those things they really wanted to do when
they were men."

Paneb, Foreman mason in  the Valley of the Kings, circa 1190BC