[Regia-NA] first antler comb project = major fustration.

yolli list-regia-na@lig.net
Sun, 28 Jul 2002 16:20:34 +0100

Dear Chris,

The comb on the web site is mine all mine! - well the one at the top of the
photo. I've made about six or seven of the things and they can be a complete
swine.

Not only because of the teeth, but the material is hard to come by in the
quality that our forebears were used to - simply the antler we get today is
often too small in diameter. You need the antler from an animal that's at
least five years old or so for good results.

Making a comb is a good way of hacking your antler beam into lots of
potentially useless lumps. If for example you have to make the decision
whether to cut the beam into hands grips or handles, then it won't then make
up sections for a comb if you change your mind and vice versa. So be brave
'mon brave'.

The best tools I have come across are:

An Angle Grinder with a variety of sanding disks and a modellers band saw.
in addition to this you should have Arthur MacGregors book Bone, Antler and
Other Skeletal Materials - or something like that.

I always find as I implied above that to make one good comb you need to
scrap a fair bit of antler and consign it to the bin really. As the material
twists in both directions at once, you'll find it very difficult to make the
side panels and tooth plates out of flat sections of the outer slice of the
antler. You can rivet flat slightly curved plates, but it's best to start
with truly flat sections or panels if you can.

For ease of construction, you can glue tooth plates or the side panels in
situ if you feel you need, as they won't all sit flat and behave themselves
at all times. Make sure you make the comb up first and then cut the teeth.
Cut marks on the side panels or originals show that this was the usual
practice 1000 years ago. There is a 'grain' to the antler ( up and down it's
length.......) and the teeth must follow this grain making the tooth plates
sit at right angles to the side panels. The Viking and Saxon practice was
not to always rivet the plates and panels in the most appropriate places
such as in the middle of the side panel securing the centre area of the
tooth plate. Oh no, lets plonk the rivet in a tooth joint......They aren't
all let's say quaint - some are sensible pieces of work.

Kim's tooth cutter is okay, but I've personally never had recourse to make
one and use it. If you wish to cut teeth of differing sizes at either end of
the comb you'll need two different thickness saws anyway. I tend to draw on
the comb the teeth I expect to cut. Now this is hit and miss bit. As I go
along, I modify my cut and tooth size subtly to suit the width of the tooth
plate at hand, so that the end cut is in fact down the centre of a tooth
plate joint - disguising it a bit.

I do spend a fair bit of time finishing the teeth with sand paper etc,
otherwise the comb is a little aggressive. You can make the teeth too sharp
as well which is not too comfortable either. The teeth at say 3mm thick at
their root are sturdy and will take a lot of punishment - unlike a bone
comb. Even finer teeth are strong - much to my surprise every time really.
But above all, take it easy. I do wonder if a reciprocating saw ( fret saw )
will do the job as well. A cutting disk on a Dremel might do it - not that
I've tried.

Cheers, Roll.