New theory on whetstones was [Regia-NA] an introduction

Sudden Service #5 list-regia-na@lig.net
Tue, 9 Jul 2002 15:17:53 -0400

Hej! Pete,
    As a jeweler I would tend to discount this theory, but I'll test it out.
The color of fine silver (.999) & sterling (.925) are too close to tell
apart, the hardness is also not far off if you heat treat the silver.  If
you add more copper to the silver it would change the hardness quit a bit,
but it shouldn't change the color much unless it is a whopping large amount
of copper (I'll try this out at the school tomorrow).  You are also looking
at a substantial change in color in your sample if it get exposed to an
acidic compound-like ammonia or body oils.
Pax,
Olaf