[Regia-NA] Re: [medieval-leather] Hawking equipment

rmhowe list-regia-na@lig.net
Tue, 09 Jul 2002 12:05:08 -0400

phlip_u wrote:

> Does anybody have any references to Medieval Hawking equipment- hood,
> jesses, and glove? My preferred time and area would be 500 CE, near
> Byzantium, but I'll take what I can get.

Boy, 'ats da truth....
My guess is you'd want to find some Arabic or Persian Texts.
I don't know of any.

This one I have not seen, but it's currently for sale by
http://www.scholarsbookshelf.com/
I saw it night before last.

THE HOUND AND THE HAWK; The Art of Medieval Hunting by John Cummins;
Illustrations from a wide variety of sources and subjects testify to
the immense cultural importance of the pursuit of hunting with hawk
and hound as training for war, a rite of manhood, and ritualistic
pastime. The author covers the literature, history, and art of the
period. 32 pages of black and white illustrations. 2001: 306 pages,
softcover. (Phoenix) 6HXB   List Price: $21.95 Paperback Price: $12.95

The Mongols hunt with huge Golden Eagles, in the winter when they camp
in the wind breaks near the rivers the eagles can be seen in the trees
overhead. I'm not sure where exactly I read it, but I think it's in an
older National Geographic of the Black and White era - 1930's?
There were photos of the eagles, which they still use.

Falconry in Mongolia
http://www.boojum.com/extras/eaglehunt.html?source=overture

Hawking from the Richard III Society:
http://www.r3.org/life/articles/falconry.html
with bibliography

Outback Enterprises: Falconry Equipment and Supplies
http://www.falconstuff.com/

Northwoods Limited Falconry Catalog - www.northwoodsfalconry.com/

First Science’s Ancient Falconry:
http://www.firstscience.com/site/articles/dobney.asp

Falconry Information Clearing House:
http://www.falconry.com/
You can try the following, I have not checked them today.
This is from a message when I formerly answered this question:
Falconry
   http://www.matrix2000.freeserve.co.uk/masterof.htm
   http://www.webring.org/cgi-bin/webring?ring=falconry;list
   http://www.falconers.com/
   http://www.eagleheights.co.uk/
   http://www.britishfalconersclub.co.uk/

I have fairly extensive leatherworking books but the only one I know of
that has (modern but complete) falconry patterns in it is:
Glasier, Philip: Falconry and Hawking; B.T. Batsford Ltd.,
        4 Fitzhardinge St., London W1H 0AH,
        ISBN 0713455551, second edition, (1978) 1993 numerous reprints,
        352 pages, 47 line illustrations, 125 photographs, 10 in color.
        35GBP, I paid $42.50.
As you can see it is a fairly substantial book. Apart from the text
which has instructions for making the hoods, etc. both end sheets have
double page patterns. There are chapters on Hood-making, Glove-making,
Making bells and hawking bags, as well as scattered equipment
instructions
elsewhere. The only thing it is definitely lacking is a bibliography.

I have a note in the back of mine I placed there:

Hands, Rachel (Ed): English Hunting and Hawking in the "Boke of  St.
Albans; Oxford, Oxford U. Press, 1975. No ISBN.

And of course there is Gaston Phoebus:

Bise, Gabriel after Phoebus, Gaston and Tallon J Peter (trans).:
ILLUMINATED MANUSCRIPTS : MEDIEVAL HUNTING SCENES
("Le Livre de Chasse de Gaston Phoébus). ; Frieborg-Geneve, Editions
Liber 	SA/Miller Graphics, 1978, First Edition., cloth, 108pp including
profuse
color illustration from the 14th or 15th century French original in the
Bibliotheque Nationale, Paris (considered the most beautiful of the 37
to 44 illuminated manuscripts extant). Text in English. Text by Gabriel
Bise, after
"The Hunting Book" by Gaston Phoebus, one of the great feudal lords of
the
14th century. Translated by J. Peter Tallon. Not a lot about hawking but
a lot about medieval hunting. This one I have. Albans I do not.

Bailey, Gordon;  Detector Finds, Payne, Greg (Ed.)
(Retail Price £8.00Each)
ISBN 1897738021, 2nd revised edition 1995 (1992)
Buckles; clog and shoe clasps; hook fasteners; gun money; crotal
and rumbler bells; love tokens; ring brooches; lead artifacts;
hawking bells and whistles; pipe tampers; candle snuffers; hasps
and clasps; copper nails; horse decorations;
pomanders; spurs and pastry jiggers.

> Thanks,
>
> Phlip

Master Magnus Malleus, OL, GDH, Atlantia © 2002 R.M. Howe
*No reposting my writings to newsgroups, especially rec.org.sca, or
the SCA-Universitas elist. I view this as violating copyright
restrictions. As long as it's to reenactor or SCA -closed- subscriber
based email lists or individuals I don't mind. It's meant to
help people without aggravating me.* Inclusion, in the
http://www.Florilegium.org/ as always is permitted.