[Regia-NA] an introduction

Sudden Service #5 list-regia-na@lig.net
Tue, 9 Jul 2002 14:10:48 -0400

    Thanks to all who have replied.  I will probably be making them as part
of my standard merchandise when I start merchanting as Olaf's Plunder again.
Looking at the cost of the equipment (making 5 of them I used up a diamond
drill bit) & materials used in making them, the ones with copper o-rings
will probably be priced at around $18 & the silver ones around $25.
    What some of the people are missing is that the stones are not the big
Arkinsaw sharpening stones like you see now of days, but more of a pocket
size like comes with some hunting knifes.  They are not meant for sharpening
a blunt edge, but rather to touch up the edge of a blade that has become
dull under use.  For that you do not need a large stone, just something a
few inches long.  I am making them in the size & shapes I saw at the Viking
exhibit.  One of them is a banded agate, the other 4 are a pinkish stone
that was  purchased as a whet stone.  Women probably kept them on their
belts with other sewing tools & men probably kept them where ever they kept
their personal items (where did they keep their ear spoons by the way?)
Pax,
Olaf