[Regia-NA] Raven/Viking Update

Schuster, Robert L. SchusterRL at umsystem.edu
Thu Nov 15 10:00:16 EST 2007

Level 3 was to
restore "the ship back to full seaworthyness,
with full gear, rig, sail, oars etc. Involves
changing broken ribs and strakes, new rig etc."

--Having seen the boat a few times and talking with folks involved in
the project I don't think that anyone really ever expects her to ever be
seaworthy again

Its not just a matter of replacing some broken ribs and strakes IMO, the
methods used to move and store her over the years have not been
favorable and IMO don't lend to her ever sailing again. There are cracks
in her hull you can put several fingers thru:(

Despite this she will make a fine exhibit for future folks interested in
the rich history both of herself and her people!

As for her 'recent' history, there are a couple of ladies that we have
been working with that have collected an obscene amount of history on
the boat and her captain. They have news stories, pics, and I believe
some sort of journal kept by someone (I forget who) involved with the
original project.

It is delightful to sit back and listen to them recant various tales (ie
piece of history) as if they were right there when they happened.

Its nice to see folks that are so passionate about what they are doing:)

It was in these tomes that they shared with us at Vasa Park this year
that for the first time I saw photos of the dragon head prow. It was as
beautiful as the boats itself.

I was also pleased to see several original pics that are used in various
television programs on TV over here (on pic is featured daily on one the
cartoons my daughter watches daily {Time Warp Trio})

Halv