[Regia-NA] Alfred's naval tactics

Chris Boulton chris.boulton at ntlworld.com
Tue Oct 31 15:01:56 EST 2006

Jim Green wrote:
> Isn't it great how much we have to learn and to discuss? Every question
answered leads to more questions.

Y'know - that's what attracts me to this period! Later periods just have so
much evidence that's easily come by that they're boring by comparison. It's
the melding of research (which isn't my speciality by a long way) with
practical trial and error (which is - especially the error bit) to try to
come up with a solution that fits what little is known, leading to some sort
of theory that in turn can be tested against what other evidence there might
be - etc etc....

Just generally more absorbing. Especially when your carefully crafted theory
turns out to be wrong in the light of something else you missed so it's back
almost to square one.....

:-)

Chris.