[Regia-NA] Alfred's naval tactics

jim green aethelwulf2000 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 30 19:32:38 EST 2006

My impression of what I read was that Alfred did use the lie in wait tactic combined with patrols some of the time. As mentioned the problem is if the enemy simply goes somewhere else. And as already said if he turns up nearby then you still need to get to him. That was one of the reasons behind Henry VIII developing the Galeass , his compromise between the Galeon and the Galley. I always felt that the stern and forecastle illustrations of Alfred's ships were influenced more by later Hanseatic Cog drawings than by any real knowledge of what Alfred actually built. Isn't it great how much we have to learn and to discuss? Every question answered leads to more questions.  Guess we won't know unless we are lucky enough for some source of info to survive and then it still must be found.      Oh Well   Jim

" A man can never have too much red wine , too many books , or too much ammunition" Rudyard Kipling