[Regia-NA] Ironworker

Jeff mack mack_metalwork at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 25 12:09:12 EDT 2006

There have been many tuyure stones found in Scandinavia.  They look like a flat rock, with a hole through it.  If I understand their use correctly, They are used to channel the air from a bellows sideways into the charcoal fuel.  Most of the reconstructions I've seen were basicly a clay lined hole in the ground, with a tuyure stone lining the hole on one side.  I used a washtub lined with clay to make my charcoal forge, so I could get it up of the ground, and not completely freak out my neighbors.

Hope that helps.

Sveinbjörn

Gold is for the mistress -- silver for the maid --
Copper for the craftsman cunning at his trade.
"Good!" said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
"But Iron -- Cold Iron -- is master of them all.
-Kipling