[Regia-NA] Ironworker

Nicholson, Andrew andrew.nicholson at dumgal.gov.uk
Wed Oct 25 11:45:34 EDT 2006

> would work great for me since I'm an old guy with bad knees
> who doesn't want to have forge in the ground.  The clay bowl
> is easy, but I wonder about the air flow and how the bellows
> are worked.

Bellows...first get your slave :o)

I've only seen it done with the air coming in from the side, with a clay
tuyere over the nozzle of the bellows, directing the flow down the side of
the bowl towards the base of the charcoal.

With a suitable tuyere, as in smelting, you could insert it through the side
wall towards the base of the charcoal. We used a large, foot-operated
bellows for smelting. If you supported a set of hand-bellows on a turf-stack
next to the bowl, you could adjust their height to suit yourself.

Guthrum

--
Any email message sent or received by the
Council may require to be disclosed by the