[Regia-NA] Alfred's ships

jim green aethelwulf2000 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 24 18:29:06 EDT 2006

As I understand what I have read , Alfred's ships were built higher than the expected Norse opposition ships. If , I do mean if , they followed more or less the length, beam ect ratios ,then they would also be longer , wider and deeper. That would indeed make them less manuerverable.It would probably add more crew and make them much more expensive. If on the other hand he simply added strakes then he might only lose more leeway in a good wind. We simply don't know and I would like to. Meanwhile as possible I play with Blackbird , the faering another group I am a member of built.  Jim

" A man can never have too much red wine , too many books , or too much ammunition" Rudyard Kipling