[Regia-NA] Hello

Hrolf Douglasson hrolf at btinternet.com
Mon Oct 23 15:08:02 EDT 2006

Here I am, home again :-)
Huscarls? Hmm. Sigurd? Which one? If you accept that a Huscarl (ie, retainer
to a member of the nobility, heavily armoured, carries a gurt big axe) is a
fairly late period invention, then if you're talking Sigurd Eystiensson, he
fought with Harald Finehair, so he's waaay too early. Sigurd the Stout
(Hlodvisson) gets killed at Clontarf in 1014, so he's heading into the right
sort of time, but it would be questionable, in my mind, whether Orkney would
support such a new idea in any great numbers at that time- there's no iron
in Orkney's soil (only archaeology, ha ha), and practically everything- even
timber- had to be imported. So equipping a Huscarl unit would be an
expensive proposition, and in these early days, I reckon it would only be
kings or their equivalents who could afford it.
Sven Knutsson introduced the concept into England around 1016, and to
English eyes they were something completely new. So I think we're probably
looking at an invention date of around 1000, in Denmark / Norway. So Orkney
<could> have had them by Clontarf, but there is no mention of special troops
in Orkneyinga Saga, which dates to around 1200.
Going later, the only likely Sigurds mentioned are 2 kings of Norway, and
the magnate on the island of Rousay: one of those places where legend and
historical provenance coincide. We have the site of Sigurd's house, and
damned impressive it is too: often described as the most important single
mile in the whole of Scottish archaeology. Most books on Viking- Age
Scotland mention the cemetery and house remains at Westness: well worth a
look.
By the time of Svein Asleifarsson and this Sigurd (they were contemporary),
we're into the 12th century, and well- armoured men are pretty much the
norm, even in the far north. Having said that, right at the very end of the
saga, one of Earl Harald "the young" Rognvaldsson's men, actually another
Sigurd (!) is described as wearing a red tunic to go into battle, so
presumably he didn't have mail. And this is around 1190- 1200, so is likely
to be an eye- witness account.
So, although Orkney might well have seen one or two men who might fit the
term, I don't honestly believe that any of the Earls ever actually
maintained an organised unit of them, such as you might find in Knut's army,
or the Varangian Guard, or even in Harold Godwinsson's fyrd. The other thing
to remember is that throughout the Saga, any big battles (big being a
relative term, of course) are fought either in Caithness, between the
current Earl and the rival Scots king, or at sea, where being a well-
armoured huscarl might be seen as something of a disadvantage!
To my knowledge, there have been no finds of armour in Orkney- only the
usual spread of grave- goods weaponry. The Scar sword is rather nice, though
:-)
Hope this helps clarify things- but remember, it's only my opinion! Feel
free to ignore it all and mail out all you want :-)))

Best Wishes,

Hrolf (Orkney)