[Regia-NA] Late notes of the Whitby Clothing meeting- long

CR Mayhew Comcast Account crmayhew at comcast.net
Fri Jul 14 10:41:07 EDT 2006

I've been keeping my beady little eyes peeled for evidence of all-silk garments since the aforementioned discussion.  I've seen no evidence to date.  I'd still call silk a luxury fabric for our period.  (drat!)

I've read that there is evidence of silk-*lined* garments from Birka (overdresses and coats).  But have yet to see photos--anyone kow of any?

The silk caps (from Lincoln, York and Dublin) are whole garments, but only require a small amount of silk.

The Hiberno-Norse folk do a number of things differently...aren't the ring-headed pins specifically Hiberno-Norse?

--charlotte mayhew